Besides this temple, a pond is located where many elephants come to drink water. The beautiful and colorful butterflies can also be seen. This is situated at a distance of 25 kilometers from the city of Balasore and only 8 Km from the Nilagiri town. According to the geographic location the coordinates are 21.41 North and 86.71 East.
History of PanchalingeshwarThe story says that all these Shivalingas are created or enshrined by Maa Sita, the wife of Lord Ram; during their exile of fourteen years in the jungles. According to the other story, Banasura who is known as a powerful Demon and a great devotee of Lord Shiva, worshiped the lingas by installing them. The five lingas are enshrined and add an attraction to the place.
The Famed PanchalingeshwarThis place is famous primarily for the Panch Lingeshwar temple where five Shivalingas are enshrined and people come to visit from the nearby cities. The religious value of this place is exponentially much more than any other place, which is nearby.
Places Nearby PanchalingeshwarSome of the nearby places that one may visit are as below:
- Chandipur- People come to see Chandipur beach, which is located in the coastal village of Chandipur. It is lonely, but it is very good to enjoy the expanse of the Bay of Bengal through launches or fish boats.
- Chandaneswar – Here visitors come to enjoy the religious site where Lord Chandaneswar is worshipped. Along with that, people can conveniently take a stroll at the sea beach.
- Remuna – Tourists come to see the culture of Vaishnavite at this place.
- Nilagiri Hills and forest– Travelers could also enjoy visiting tribal villages and the beautiful forest area of Nilagiri as it is good for trekking. If anyone wants to enjoy trekking then he can easily go through the beautiful mountains and enjoy the surroundings.
- Baulagadia - The visitors can also visit a village named Baulagadia located 5 km away from Nilagiri town which is an important place of the sub-division. Here people come to see some famous stone carving work on black granite.
- Kuldiah Wildlife Sanctuary- one of the places for visitors to visit as there are different types of animals can be seen as tiger, leopard, gaurs, sambars, elephants along with reptiles. A variety of colorful birds can also be seen here.
- Khiching- This place is popular for temples. Kichakeswari temple was built in the 7th century and Chamunda temple was built in the 10th century.
Getting to PanchalingeshwarThe best time to visit the place is in winter. The visitors can reach to this place anytime of the year, but they would be better off from it in the summer, when mercury soars up and the sun becomes harsh.
How to visit
- Roadways – Visitors can easily visit through roadways as road travel facilities are connected easily. There are many buses running from Balasore.
- Train Ways- Anyone can easily reach to Baleswar Railway station, which is the nearest railway station. After that, they can reach to the temple area.
- Airways- The nearest airport is Kolkata, which is at a distance of 206 km and another is Bhubaneswar Airport which is at a distance of 294 km.
- It is better to come in winter, but if the visitors come in summer then they should use light cotton clothes. Sun glasses and tan solution like sunscreen are also important for them.
- They can also use umbrellas during the summer.
- As the temple is situated on the top of the hills there in winter season they should tuck them with woolen clothes.
- As it is difficult to touch the lingas. Thus, they should come with half sleeves of the shirt or in comfortable dresses, so that they may touch the lingas in a perfect way.
- The visitors have to lie on their chest to touch the lingas, thus it will be fine if they come in simple clothing.
Panchalingeshwar is a nice place with five lingas, where beautiful streams wash the lingas naturally. The area is surrounded by beautiful Nilagiri Mountain that makes the place more attractive; people with an interest in historical monuments must visit this place with ample amount of time.